Top News

Oscar Isaac in Talks to Voice Gomez Addams in Animated ‘Addams Family’ Movie

Oscar Isaac in Talks to Voice Gomez Addams in Animated ‘Addams Family’ Movie
Star Wars: The Last Jedi” star Oscar Isaac is in talks with MGM to voice Gomez Addams in the animated feature film “The Addams Family.”

Isaac portrays the heroic pilot Poe Dameron in “The Last Jedi.” The rest of the cast for “The Addams Family” has not been unveiled. Conrad Vernon is directing from a screenplay by Pamela Pettler based on Charles Addams’ iconic cartoon series with revisions by Matt Lieberman.

Producers of “The Addams Family” are Gail Berman, Vernon, and Alex Schwartz. Executive producers are Kevin Miserocchi and Andrew Mittman. The Jackal Group is producing with Cinesite Studios providing the computer-generated animation.

MGM announced Friday that it had set an Oct. 11, 2019, release date for the film. The announcement comes seven weeks after MGM and Annapurna Pictures unveiled a new joint venture for theatrical distribution in the U.S. Through this joint venture, MGM expects to release approximately six to eight films per year beginning with Eli Roth
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Paul Haggis Sues Woman Over Alleged Fake Rape Claim

Paul Haggis Sues Woman Over Alleged Fake Rape Claim
Paul Haggis is suing a New York publicist who says he raped her, claiming the woman is an extortionist who is capitalizing on the trauma of genuine victims of sexual assault.

The Crash writer-director sued Haleigh Breest in New York State court Friday afternoon, and she followed with her own lawsuit a few hours later.

Breest claims Haggis raped her in his SoHo apartment in January 2013 following the premiere of Side Effects. She says he insisted she come over for a drink, and she relented despite not wanting to go. Breest claims the unwanted sexual advances began...
See full article at The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News »

Watergate Series from George Clooney the Works at Netflix

Watergate Series from George Clooney the Works at Netflix
Netflix is eyeing the Watergate scandal as its next high-profile miniseries.

The drama is being developed by George Clooney and Bridge of Spies writer Matt Charman. Clooney’s Smokehouse Pictures will produce the eight-episode limited series, with the film star and his partner Grant Heslov serving as executive producers. The project also hails from Sonar Entertainment, which inked a first look deal with Smokehouse last year.

More to come...

...
See full article at The Hollywood Reporter - TV News »

‘The Goldfinch’ Movie Adaptation Casts Willa Fitzgerald as Pippa (Exclusive)

‘The Goldfinch’ Movie Adaptation Casts Willa Fitzgerald as Pippa (Exclusive)
Willa Fitzgerald is in negotiations to play Pippa in Warner Bros. and Amazon Studios’ adaptation of “The Goldfinch.”

Ansel Elgort will portray Theo and “Dunkirk” actor Aneurin Barnard is Boris in the film from director John Crowley. Warner Bros. had no comment on the casting.

Based on Donna Tartt’s Pulitzer Prize-winning book, “The Goldfinch” follows a young man named Theodore Decker who survives a terrorist bombing at an art museum — an attack that kills his mother. From there, he tumbles through a series of adventures that finds him living in Las Vegas with his deadbeat father and, later, involved in art forgeries.

In the novel, Pippa is Theo’s true-but-seemingly-unrequited love.

Earlier this year, Amazon Studios agreed to co-finance the film, which will go into production at the beginning of 2018. As part of the pact, Amazon will invest more than a third of the movie’s budget, which is estimated to be in the $40 million range, according
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Apple Orders Ronald D. Moore Space Drama Series

Apple Orders Ronald D. Moore Space Drama Series
Exclusive: Ronald D. Moore is heading back to space. Apple has given a straight-to-series order to a space drama from the Battlestar Galactica developer. The untitled project hails from Sony Pictures Television and Moore's studio-based Tall Ship Productions. Created and written by Moore, along with Fargo co-executive producers Matt Wolpert and Ben Nedivi, the untitled series explores what would have happened if the global space race had never ended. Tall Ship Prods…
See full article at Deadline TV »

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Storms to Second-Biggest Thursday Preview Ever With $45 Million

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Storms to Second-Biggest Thursday Preview Ever With $45 Million
The Force remains unstoppable as Disney-Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” opened with $45 million on Thursday night.

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” set a record for the second-largest Thursday night preview gross in North America, trailing only “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” which earned $57 million two years ago. “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” had been the second-highest with $43 million. “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” opened a year ago to $29 million at Thursday night previews.

Previews began Thursday at 6 p.m. in North America — about 12 hours after Disney announced it was spending $52.4 billion to acquire 21st Century Fox assets. On Friday, the film launches at 4,232 theaters in the U.S./Canada, including nearly 410 Imax screens, 640 premium large format, 3,600 3D locations, and 212 D-Box locations.

Early surveys of audience reactions Thursday night by comScore’s PostTrack found that 68% rated “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” as “excellent” and another 21% as “very good.” A
See full article at Variety - Film News »

ABC’s ‘Roseanne’ Reboot Sets Spring Premiere Date

  • The Wrap
ABC’s ‘Roseanne’ Reboot Sets Spring Premiere Date
ABC’s improbable full-cast revival of “Roseanne” is real, and now it has a premiere date. Fans of the show can find out just how the heck Dan Connors is still alive when the nine-episode 10th season debuts with a special hour-long episode on Tuesday, March 27 at 8 p.m. The full cast from the show’s original run is returning for the new go-round, including Roseanne Barr, John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Michael Fishman, and both Beckys — Lecy Goranson, who originated the character and will play her in the revival, and Sarah Chalke, who will play a new character.
See full article at The Wrap »

‘Florida Project’ Producer Steps Down Amid Harassment Claims

‘Florida Project’ Producer Steps Down Amid Harassment Claims
Andrew Duncan, the producer of awards contender “The Florida Project,” is stepping down from his indie production company amid allegations of sexual harassment.

Duncan launched June Pictures a year ago, and has produced a handful of independent films including “Operator” with Martin Starr, and “Thoroughbred,” a breakout film at the Sundance Film Festival. In a statement, CEO Alex Saks said she has solidified plans to buy out Duncan’s stake in the company.

“In light of allegations of misconduct against our investor Andrew Duncan, I am assuming sole ownership and leadership of June Pictures,” Saks said. “June Pictures is committed to a respectful work environment dedicated to producing quality films. We will continue our projects already in production and development.”

Rumors of Duncan’s alleged sexual misconduct have been circulating for the last couple of weeks. The ouster poses a potential problem for “The Florida Project,” a portrayal of children living in poverty from director Sean Baker (“[link
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Bruce Gray, 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' Star, Dies at 81

Bruce Gray, 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' Star, Dies at 81
Bruce Gray, known to Americans as the father of the groom in My Big Fat Greek Wedding and to fellow Canadians for playing investment banker Adam Cunningham on the 1990s Traders TV drama, has died. Gray was 81.

Gray passed away in Los Angeles on Wednesday after a bout with brain cancer, his Toronto agent Jennifer Goldhar confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

Born on Sept. 7, 1936 in San Juan Puerto Rico to Canadian parents, Gray returned at age 13 to Toronto, before completing high school at Humberside Collegiate and graduating from the University of Toronto with psychology degree. In 1960, Gray...
See full article at The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News »

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Rockets to $60.8 Million in Early International Openings

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Rockets to $60.8 Million in Early International Openings
Star Wars: The Last Jedi” has launched internationally with a powerful $60.8 million in 48 markets in its first two days.

The Disney-Lucasfilm tentpole began its international run on Dec 13 in 14 markets, followed by an additional 34 territories on Dec. 14, opening in first place in all except for Turkey and South Korea.

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” generated the second-largest debut day of all time in Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Finland, Netherlands, Sweden, and Iceland — behind only 2015’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” in each case. The movie was the third-biggest opening day for the U.K. and Norway.

It was also the top 2017 opening day in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K.Disney said “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is 63% ahead of last year’s spinoff, “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” and 25% behind “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” in international markets so far.

Along with the U.
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Martin Ransohoff, Filmways Founder and ‘Cincinnati Kid’ Producer, Dies at 90

Martin Ransohoff, Filmways Founder and ‘Cincinnati Kid’ Producer, Dies at 90
Martin Ransohoff, who produced notable films of the 1960s and ’70s such as “The Cincinnati Kid” and “Save the Tiger” and co-founded Filmways Television, died Wednesday at his home in Bel-Air,Calif. He was 90.

Filmways produced some of the biggest TV hits of the 1960s including “The Beverly Hillbillies,” “The Addams Family,” “Petticoat Junction,” “Green Acres” and “The Hollywood Squares.”

Ransohoff later entered the movie business along with Filmways’ executive John Calley. Their first film was 1962’s “Boys’ Night Out,” followed by 1963’s “The Wheeler Dealers.” He also was behind the 1965 New Orleans-set drama, “The Cincinnati Kid,” which starred Steve McQueen, Edward G. Robinson, Ann-Margret, and Karl Malden. Ransohoff famously fired Sam Peckinpah from the film, feeling his vision was too dark, and hired Norman Jewison to direct.

He exited the company in 1972 to become an independent film producer.

Among his producing credits were Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton’s “The Sandpiper,” Tony Richardson
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Stephen Colbert Is Hannibal Lecter to Jodie Foster’s Clarice in ‘Silence of the Trumps’ (Video)

  • The Wrap
Stephen Colbert Is Hannibal Lecter to Jodie Foster’s Clarice in ‘Silence of the Trumps’ (Video)
Being locked up with a flesh-eating serial killer is a whole lot less scary than being free to wander the streets with Donald Trump in the Oval Office, according to a “Silence of the Lambs” parody on Friday night’s “Late Show With Stephen Colbert.” Jodie Foster reprised her Oscar-winning role as FBI trainee Clarice Starling, who pays the imprisoned Hannibal Lecter (Colbert) a visit to ask for help with the Bureau’s Russia investigation in a spoof titled “Silence of the Trumps.” Hannibal tells Clarice that he and Trump were golfing buddies who dined with their caddy once… actually…
See full article at The Wrap »

'Bad Santa' Director Says He Was Also Discouraged From Hiring Mira Sorvino

'Bad Santa' Director Says He Was Also Discouraged From Hiring Mira Sorvino
Bad Santa director Terry Zwigoff is echoing statements made by Peter Jackson that said that he was told not to hire actress Mira Sorvino, saying that he had a similar experience.

On Friday, Zwigoff tweeted, "I was interested in casting Mira Sorvino in Bad Santa, but every time I mentioned her over the phone to the Weinsteins, I'd hear a Click. What type of person just hangs up on you like that?! I guess we all know what type of person now. I'm really sorry Mira."

In a recent interview with New Zealand's Stuff,...
See full article at The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News »

Paul Haggis Accused of Rape in Lawsuit; Filmmaker Denies Claim in Separate Suit

Paul Haggis Accused of Rape in Lawsuit; Filmmaker Denies Claim in Separate Suit
Filmmaker Paul Haggis was accused of rape in a lawsuit filed Friday by publicist Haleigh Breest. Haggis denied the accusation and responded with a lawsuit against Breest that claims he was the victim of a $9 million extortion attempt. In the lawsuit, obtained by Variety and Deadline, Breest says the rape occurred in 2013 after Haggis offered her a ride home from a movie premiere. She says that Haggis forced her to come up to his apartment for a drink and “almost immediately began to make unwanted sexual advances and to forcibly kiss her.” “Eventually, Mr. Haggis succeeded in getting Ms. Breest.
See full article at The Wrap »

Anita Hill Chairs Hollywood Anti-Sexual Harassment Commission Formed by Top Execs

Anita Hill Chairs Hollywood Anti-Sexual Harassment Commission Formed by Top Execs
Spurred by the multitude of sexual abuse scandals, top Hollywood executives have tapped Anita Hill to chair the newly formed Commission on Sexual Harassment and Advancing Equality in the Workplace.

The commission made the announcement Friday following a meeting convened by Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy, Nike Foundation founder and co-chair Maria Eitel, Nina Shaw, and venture captialist Freada Kapor Klein.

“The Commission will not seek just one solution, but a comprehensive strategy to address the complex and inter-related causes of the problems of parity and power,” said Kennedy. “The fact that so many industry leaders—across film, television, music, digital, unions, agencies, Ata, AMPAS, television academy and guilds—came together, in one room, to explore solutions speaks to a new era.”

Hill went public in 1991 with allegations of sexual harassment during the Senate confirmation process for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. Since then, in addition to teaching law and policy at Brandeis University, Hill has been
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Terry Crews Accuses Wme of Spying on Him and His Family Over Sexual Assault Case

Terry Crews Accuses Wme of Spying on Him and His Family Over Sexual Assault Case
Terry Crews took to Twitter on Friday to accuse Wme of “retaliation” in his ongoing legal battle with the agency. Last month, Crews accused the then-head of Wme’s Motion Picture Department, Adam Venit, of groping him at a party. Now, he’s accusing the agency of hacking his son’s computer and possibly bugging his family. “I believe my family is being tracked and possibly bugged,” Crews said in a series of tweets, “Someone hacked into the computer my son and I built together. I have to shut it down and replace the hard drive.” Also Read: Terry Crews Signs With UTA After Sexual.
See full article at The Wrap »

Arnon Milchan Sues Warren Beatty Over ‘Rules Don’t Apply’ Flop

Arnon Milchan Sues Warren Beatty Over ‘Rules Don’t Apply’ Flop
Last year, Arnon Milchan was effusive in his praise of Warren Beatty, whose film “Rules Don’t Apply” he had agreed to help finance. In an interview with Variety, the Israeli-born financier said he put his full confidence in “the master.”

“We all put in the money and said, ‘Go make your movie. We will leave you alone,'” Milchan said at the time. Beatty was effusive in return, calling Milchan “the Medici of the movies.”

Cut to: one year later. The film flopped, grossing $3.9 million worldwide, and Milchan’s company is now suing Beatty for $18 million.

On Friday, Milchan’s company, Regency Entertainment, filed suit in L.A. Superior Court against Beatty’s company and several other big-name financiers, including Ron Burkle, Terry Semel, Steve Bing, Jeffrey Soros, and Brett Ratner’s RatPac Entertainment. The suit contends that each of the investors breached their obligation to refund Regency’s P&A costs.

“I have no
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Bob Iger, Kathleen Kennedy Form Hollywood Sexual Misconduct Commission Chaired by Anita Hill

Bob Iger, Kathleen Kennedy Form Hollywood Sexual Misconduct Commission Chaired by Anita Hill
Hollywood top executives — including Disney CEO Bob Iger, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and Wme’s Ari Emanuel — have formed and are funding a special commission to combat sexual misconduct in the industry. The commission is chaired by Anita Hill, who made headlines with sexual harassment accusations against Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas during Thomas’ confirmation hearings in the early 1990s. During the meeting — which was convened by Kennedy, Nike co-chair Maria Eitel, attorney Nina Shaw and social policy philanthropist Freada Kapor Klein –leaders emphasized that safe and inclusive work environments result in stronger and more successful businesses. Also Read: Did Minnie.
See full article at The Wrap »

Top Hollywood Execs Unveil Anti-Sexual Harassment Commission Chaired by Anita Hill

Top Hollywood Execs Unveil Anti-Sexual Harassment Commission Chaired by Anita Hill
Kathleen Kennedy’s proposed industry commission to combat gender inequality is coming to fruition, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Two dozen top entertainment executives have come together to form and fund the Commission on Sexual Harassment and Advancing Equality in the Workplace, which will be chaired by Anita Hill. The attorney and Brandeis law professor was one of the first whistleblowers on sexual harassment, when she testified against Clarence Thomas during his 1991 Senate confirmation hearing for the Supreme Court. She sits on the boards of directors for the National Women’s Law Center and the Boston Lawyers Committee for...
See full article at The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News »

Did Minnie Driver Drag Matt Damon Over Sexual Misconduct Comments?

Did Minnie Driver Drag Matt Damon Over Sexual Misconduct Comments?
Among the many people unhappy about Matt Damon’s ABC interview about sexual misconduct on Friday was his “Good Will Hunting” co-star and former girlfriend Minnie Driver. “God God, Seriously?” Driver tweeted in response to a quote from the interview. “There are so many men I love who do Not frame the differentiation between sexual misconduct assault and rape as an excuse or worse- our problem,” she later said in reply to another user. “Such bollocks..” Damon came under fire after commenting on the steady stream of sexual misconduct allegations being made against men in Hollywood in a Thursday ABC News interview.
See full article at The Wrap »
loading
An error has occured. Please try again.